FIVE LIES YOU TELL YOURSELF THAT STOP YOU FROM BEING AWESOME
“I am about to call you on all the bullshit you tell yourself that stops you from creating, growing, exploring. I get sick of hearing this crap from people. Stop selling yourself excuses and start living the life you want…”
- I’M SCARED… : Heads up guys…I’m scared too but this is no reason not to do things. My mother once told me – “It’s not about living without fear it’s having the courage to go on in spite of it”. Sure – she got this inspirational quote from some other anonymous source but that doesn’t mean it lacks merit. Change how you think about fear; use it as a motivating force, embrace it. Being fearful is when you know you are really living and a clear indicator you are out of your comfort zone. Outside your comfort zone is when magic happens. Sit with your fear and be open to magic.
- I’M STILL WORKING ON THAT…: Oh yeh…really?! Are you really still working on it or is that what you tell yourself for fear of actually sharing your work and opening yourself up to public opinion. Seth Godin (one of my all time hero’s) defines anxiety as “experiencing failure in advance”. ” You are not only punishing yourself, you’re sabotaging your work”. Furthermore…(and this is my favorite) “the people who aren’t willing to put themselves on the line are already failing. You might fail or you will fail. It feels to me it’s better to ‘might fail’. PEOPLE… ! Stop failing in advance. Be brave and share that project you have been working on forever, tell someone about your amazing new idea. Don’t let fear cripple you…be brave and kick your ass over that cliff.
- I DON’T HAVE TIME…: Yes you do! just stop procrastinating. Productive procrastination is one of my favorite go to moves. It’s when you do a bunch of stuff to avoid doing the thing you really should be working on. I’m doing it right now. I’m writing this post when I really should be completing my first draft for my book proposal. If I had skipped the three hrs of procrastination (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) and just got down to it…I’d already be at home in my pajamas watching episodes of ‘High Maintenance’. This is also the excuse I give myself for not going to the gym. We have all been there and it’s total bullshit. Write a list and hold yourself accountable.
- I CAN’T MAKE A DIFFERENCE…: This is when you whinge about the state of the world but do nothing to change it. If you have identified a problem, either find a creative solution or lead by example. I don’t want to hear your whining if you don’t plan on doing anything about it. Learn to back up your mouth and start contributing to the world as an active participant.
- I HAD THIS GREAT IDEA BUT…: but….you missed the boat. You never acted on that idea but rest assured someone else did. Now they are kicking back in the Bahamas sipping Mai Tai’s while you are still slaving away at your 9-5 making someone else’s dreams a reality. You know what’s scarier than doing things. Not doing things. No one wants to look back and wonder what could have been. The time is NOW!
Being awesome is a choice. Choose to be awesome. Choose to make your dreams a reality. Choose to be the best version of yourself. Choose to act now.